3/22/12

Happy Post

Yesterday I had to go to the dentist to get the permanent crown put on one of my back teeth. This is the pre-molar I managed to break on a single popcorn kernel. Let's see, the cost of one un-popped kernel of corn equals $1,200.00. Somehow that's just obscene. But there was nothing I could do to change it, so I just resigned myself to it.

Since the dentist is 20 minutes away on a good traffic day, I arrived early and wound up talking to the receptionist. She hadn't seen me in six months so the cane and limp were new to her. She inquired and I explained the pricy surgery coming up. She was shocked at the cost and how little of it my health insurance covered. We talked about some other things and then it was my turn.

Five shots of Novocain later, I was a drooling fool but it was over (no photos of this...you understand). The impressions were taken and the temporary crown was put on.

Remember how I said around New Year's that I was going to acknowledge when something good happened to me rather than just whining about the bad things? Well, I still don't do it enough, but this is one of those times.

When I walked over to the receptionist to pay, she asked if I had dental insurance and I said unfortunately not. She then wrote a website on a post-it and whispered to me to go online and apply for this insurance.
Gifts come in various forms...like a simple little Post-It!
"Don't tell the Dr. I gave you this number". Continuing, she said that if I signed up immediately, it would reduce the cost by at least 40-50%!!! Well, push me over with a feather! I thanked her profusely and signed up the minute I got back to my home computer.

For about $12 per month I now have dental insurance! How amazing is that? What a kind person! She didn't have to do that!! What a gift!! In my case it really is, since I have several other very old amalgam fillings that are living on borrowed time at this point.

So here's the "crowning glory" as it were in all it's less than sartorial splendor. Oh, and with the gift of insurance, it "only" cost $645.00...what a difference, huh? Miracles sparkle everywhere, you just have to be open to allowing them in.
The pricy little crown is third from the right. Sorry, color's wonky.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

!!!!!

I am SO happy for you! It's really wonderful when you meet a gem of a person like this.

3/24/12, 4:15 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Thank you! People constantly amaze me!

Have a wonderful weekend!

3/24/12, 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home